dtac accelerate, Thailand’s number one “Real” incubator, launches batch 6 and announces its partnerships with some of the world’s leading technology companies, including Google and LIINE Thailand. dtac accelerate features a training program from the Google LaunchPad Accelerator, an extremely successful accelerator from USA, and mentoring from world-class startup gurus, including Mr. Jacob Greenspan, an expert in User Experience and User Interface (UI/UX) for product development, and Mr. Jake Knapp, an expert in Design Sprint process used to develop new ideas, together with many other mentors from around the world. In addition, dtac will announce a collaboration with Line Thailand marking the first partnership of its kind for Line in Thailand that will offer Thai startups an opportunity to reach 42 million users on the Line platform.Mr. Lars Norling, Chief Executive Officer, Total Access Communication PLC or dtac, said, “dtac is one of the pioneers in the startup ecosystem and has helped 34 startups to grow and succeed. They have a combined value of over US$100 million and have collectively secured US$5 million in investment, with 70% follow-on funding, the highest in Southeast Asia. The region represents incredible potential, thanks to a population of 600 million and a US$2.6 trillion market.
Although Thailand’s mobile penetration rate is over 100%, digital development has not reached the majority of the population. For example, e-payment is now standard in China, while Thailand still relies on cash. Over the past 5 years, dtac accelerate has groomed 10-12 tech startups each year to where they can create digital innovations to help enhance customers’ day-to-day lifestyle and contribute to the Thai society. Seekster and Skootar create jobs for maids and messengers through a digital platform. Giztix brings small logistic companies to world-class transportation. Ricult uses machine learning for precise weather forecasts and agricultural productivity improvement. These startups do not only grow digital business and the startup ecosystem, they also empower their users with digital tools.
dtac accelerate is committed to creating the first startup unicorn in Thailand and help startups expand to international markets. We help them reach Telenor Group customers around the world, from Norway to Bangladesh. We have strong collaborations with world-class partners, such as Google, Facebook, and Line, with a goal to grow Thai startups and ultimately improve the quality of life for the Thai people.”
Mr. Andrew Kvalseth, Chief Marketing Officer, dtac, said, “2017 saw more investments and steady growth in the Thai startup industry, which is a reflection of the expanding startup ecosystem in Thailand. dtac accelerate has played a key role in building that ecosystem.
“In 2017 alone, there were fundraising deals from our alumni, including three series A investments and eight seed investments for a total of US$9.5 million. Our startups got 70% follow-on funding compared to a 20% regional average, meaning we’re the only real accelerator in Thailand and among the very best in the region.
“The other big news is that Google has selected us as their exclusive partner for Google Launchpad. We have access to their full curriculum.”
We are the ones screening startups for their launchpad. And they’re sending us some of their top people, like Jacob Greenspan.
“We’re also the first, and currently only, accelerator to work with LINE. LINE will support our startups with user acquisition thanks to their 42 million-strong customer base in Thailand. LINE not only has an API platform for startups to plug into but is also launching its own venture capital fund.”Mr. Sompoat Chansomboon, Managing Director, dtac accelerate, said, “dtac accelerate batch 6 is filled with thrills and highlights, including:
- The program announces, for the first time in Thailand, a partnership with Google Launchpad Accelerator, an acceleration program for startups from around the world. Selected startups will take part in the Google Launchpad Accelerator in San Francisco, USA.
- Partnership with Line SCALEUP that offers startups a co-marketing opportunity with access to over 42 million Line users, an investment opportunity from Line, and a participation in Line Dev Day at Line Corporation headquarters in Tokyo in September.
- Partnerships with Thailand’s leading corporations such as Muang Thai Life Assurance PCL, Siri Ventures, and PTT’s Express Solutions.
- Growth & Scaling pack by the collaboration with partners to provide support in 3 areas:
- Technical pack : Clouds partners AWS, Google Clouds, IBM, Tencent
- Marketing pack : dtac, FB, Line@, PTT, San Siri, MTL, Thairath, Fastwork
- Talent pack: Getlink, Scoutout, Google Ignite, Skooldio, Disrupt University, Globish, Senseino, Google Developer Group Thailand.
Speaking sessions by world-class startup gurus
- Nir Eyal, author of “Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products”
- Jacob Greenspan, UI/UX Expert from Google LaunchPad Accelerator”
- Hai Habot, OKR guru and top executive from Silicon Valley tech firm
- Scott Bales, author of “Mobile Ready” and Lean Startup and Customer Validation expert
- Ruangroj “Krating” Poonpol, renowned Thai startup guru who brought tech startup model from Silicon Valley to Thailand
Mentors and Padawans
- Maneerat Anulomsombat, CEO, Garena Online (Thailand) as mentor and Darin “Ing” Suthapong as padawan
- Sharinee “Shannon” Kalayanamitr as mentor and Supichaya “Gak” Surapunthu, Co-Founder of Piggipo, as padawan
- Ariya Banomyong, Managing Director, Line Thailand, as mentor and Patinan “Tom” Vachiramon, Co-Founder of ScoutOut as padawan
- Natavudh Pungcharoenpong, CEO of Ookbee, as mentor and Pippo, Co-Founder of Fictionlog as padawan
- Patai Padungtin, Founder of Builk, as mentor and Bell Ponglada, Freshket, as padawan
- Kittinan Anuphan, CEO & Founder of Claim Di, as mentor and Sittisak “Nong” Wongsomnuk, Founder of Giztix, as padawan
- Thanawat Malabuppha, CEO & Co-Founder of priceza.com, as mentor and Suwatt “Boy” Pathopakawan, Founder of Skootar, as padawan
- Ezra Don Harinsut, Co-Founder of Omise, as mentor and Kanapon (Tum) Phumratprapin, Founder of Health at Home, as padawan
Prizes for batch 6 winners
- Participate in Google Launchpad Accelerator in Silicon Valley, USA
- Attend roadshow at Web Summit 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal
- Attend roadshow at Techcrunch Disrupt San Francisco 2018 in San Francisco, California, USA
- Attend Line Dev Day at Line Corporation headquarters in Japan
The timeline for dtac accelerate batch 6 includes application submission from March 7- April 11, 2018, announcement of participants on May 4, 2018, Pitch Day on May 11, 2018, Boot Camp from May to August, 2018, and Demo Day on the last week of August 2018.